Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Things Markita Hates/Likes

It occured to me that, in my everyday life, there are various things that really bother me. But to not be negative, I've decided I need to try to couple these with things that I like as well. (I really don't lean toward negativity -- there's just something particularly profound about realizing you hate things. Try it.)

The list starts here.

Things Markita likes:

1. Really nice people
The other day, my friends and I were coming back from Caribana and were in traffic to get on the freeway. A couple to the left of us lightly honks at us, rolls down their window, and asks if they can get in front of me so that they can make the next right turn. I reply "Sure, no problem" and they smile and say, "Thank you, that's really nice of you."

It is, in itself, the most mundane exchange ever. But something about their pleasant attitude and courtesy really struck me. I mean, there's nothing wrong with the person that simply honks and points to the front of you - that's I what I do. However, to roll the window down and ask, and then compliment me on simply allowing what any other decent human being would allow, is exceptionally polite. In 2 minutes, they made my day.

Things Markita hates:


1. Cold
Everything cold. I seem to have no appreciation for anything less than 70 degrees F. In fact, I am in love with hot. I like being hot and I love hot weather. So it sometimes makes me angry that everywhere I go it's so damn cold. And I know I know...I grew up in Michigan and should be used to it. For some reason, this response is the first thing out of people's mouths. People's body temperatures don't change for living in cold weather. I didn't notice I hated cold weather as a kid, but now that I do, winters get worse every year.

But it's not the winters that piss me off so much either. What pisses me off is the summers that don't seem to understand the rules. Or the vacations that don't quite get why I'm on them. I went to Greece a month ago, and even though it was 2 of the best weeks of my life, I hated that I sat on the beach with a hooded jacket on. Last summer, I lived in Portland and they probably had like a week over 90 degrees and the rest was under 80. Check me out hiding (behind Harry's hairy leg)
in my usual beach attire -- cold as hell!

And why is it that movie theaters, malls, restaurants, office buildings...actually everyone thinks that its a good idea to freeze the people that are in their establishment? Why do I wear sweaters in the summer just as often as in the winter simply because I can't stand the goose bumps that form on my bare arms
whenever I step inside a building? I would think that these people would want to save costs and turn the air down.



At the moment we have 90 degree weather in Detroit and I'm probably the only one that's not complaining. And trust me, it takes a lot to get me to complain about the heat....you won't hear it.

No comments: